This is a special edition of the GameSentral Rewind, focusing on Nintendo’s Nindies showcase.
60 indie games are being developed for the Nintendo Switch, according to the company, and they showed off a sampling of them at Tuesday’s Nindies showcase. Here’s what you need to know:
SteamWorld Dig 2
Image & Form Games is bringing SteamWorld Dig 2 to the Switch this summer.
The game is a follow-up to 2013’s SteamWorldDig, and is set in the same universe as 2D tactical shooter SteamWorld Heist.
Featuring Dorothy, a character from the original game, Dig 2 expands on the original’s scope while keeping the same Metroidvania action-adventure structure with multiple new locations and a non-linear structure.
Currently, the game has only been confirmed for the Switch, but Image & Form says that other platforms are “to be announced.”
According to Image & Form CEO Brjann Sigurgeirsson, it will make use of the JoyCon’s HD Rumble feature in some way.
The game will launch this summer.
Rogue Trooper Redux
A remastered version of Rogue Trooper is one the way to PS4, Xbox One, Windows, and Switch, according to developer Rebellion.
Rogue Trooper is a 2006 third-person shooter based on the comic 2000 AD. Rebellion is collaborating on Rogue Trooper Redux with UK-based studio TickTock Games.
Redux will “remaster the Rebellion classic for a new generation of players, taking them to the chem-blasted battlefields of Nu Earth,” according to a press release.
“Rogue, a bio-engineered Genetic Infantryman immune to the planet’s poisonous atmosphere, is the last soldier standing against the colonial Nort regime. Carrying three fallen comrades as biochips in his equipment, Rogue is a one-unit squad of death and destruction, and he only has one thing on his mind: revenge.”
-Rebellion & TickTock Games, in a press release
The game will launch later this year.
Runner3, the next entry in Choice Provisions’ Bit.Trip series, will launch this fall as a Switch exclusive.
Choice Provisions drops the series’ previous pixelated 2D art style in favor for a still colorful 3D side-scroller feel.
Other new features include branching paths, item shops, vehicles, and hero quests.
“Runner3 follows the continuing adventures of CommanderVideo and all his creepy friends. Their arch-rival, the Timbletot, is determined as ever to rid the multiverse of all its love and happiness. CommanderVideo, a lover if ever there was one, refuses to let this happen. He’s ready to jump, double-jump, wall-jump, slide-jump, underwear-jump, slide, kick, float, fly, and dance his way to victory, all across a medley of thrilling, challenging, and joyous levels!”
-Choice Provisions, Runner3 developer
According to the developer, Runner3 will “take advantage of some of the more unique features of the Nintendo Switch,” although specifics weren’t shared.
The game will launch this fall.
INSERT SHAKEDOWN HAWAII IMAGE HERE
Shakedown Hawaii, the new game from Vblank Entertainment which develops Retro City Rampage, and it’s coming to the Switch next month as a timed console exclusive.
The 16-bit, run-and-gun action game has a similar aesthetic to Retro City and takes place 30 years later with an open world full of things waiting to be blown up.
The game is expected to launch soon.
Blaster Master Zero
Inti Creates’ Blaster Master Zero is yet another indie game that’ll give retro Nintendo vibes.
The game brings back side-scrolling vehicular combat and top-down adventuring from the original NES Blaster Master, according to Nintendo. It does also promise “new and improved gameplay systems” and some unannounced cameos.
Blaster Master Zero will include a cooperative two-player mode and will incorporate the Switch’s HD Rumble feature.
The game will launch Mar. 9 on Switch and 3DS for $9.99.
Thumper is coming to the Switch later this spring, according to the game’s Twitter account. It’s the first appearance on a Nintendo platform for the “rhythm violence” game that launched on PS4 and Windows last fall.
Produced by Droll, the standout indie hit comes with Switch with hinted use of HD rumble.
Overcooked, the local multiplayer-only cooking simulation from Ghost Town Games, is coming to Switch later this year with a stuffed special edition.
Included here is the base game along with all of the game’s previously released DLC. There will also be HD rumble support so you can feel onion soup sloshing around in the pot.
Here are some other highlights of games coming to Switch:
- Yooka-Laylee: New multiplayer mode will debut when the game launches later this year
- The Escapists 2: The prison escape sequel launches later this year
- Gonner: The game will launch later this year with exclusive content on Switch.
- Kingdom Two Crowns: Players will look to rid their kingdoms of greed when it launches later this year
- Flipping Death: Players will die and help the ghosts of the afterlife solve their problems this year
- Graceful Explosion Machine: The 2D side-scrolling shooter launches on Switch in April as a timed console exclusive
- Dandara: The Metroidvania-style side-scroller launches this summer
- Shifty: The teleportation-fueled heist action game will launch in April as a timed Switch exclusive.
- TumbleSeed: The chill action game where you balance a rolling seed on a vine launches this spring
- Pocket Rumble: The beginner-friendly 2D fighting game is a Switch exclusive that’ll launch in March
- WarGroove: The fantasy Advance Wars game will launch this year
- Stardew Valley: A new multiplayer mode will launch on the Switch this summer
- Perception: The first-person narrative horror adventure game will launch later this year
- Ultimate Chicken Horse: The party platformer game where you build the level as you play will launch later this year
- NBA Playgrounds: The basketball game launches later this year
- Celeste: The game about climbing a mountain launches later this year
- The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth expansion will launch in March
- Fast RMX: The racing game is a launch title
- Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment: The expansion for the original Treasure Trove pixelated platform is a launch title
- Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove: The original Shovel Knight is a launch title